History of GFWC X-JWC of Cheyenne
On May 10, 1940 fifty young Cheyenne women met in the tearoom of the Little Shop to organize a Junior Woman’s Club, under the sponsorship of the Cheyenne Woman’s Club. Mrs. H.M. Davey was the first elected president, soon succeeded for a brief period by Mrs. Edward Speir, vice president. But it was Mrs. James O. Wilson who assumed the office of the first regular club meeting in September and who guided the club through the first hard year of organization. It is not surprising, since the members were young mothers, that the first community project undertaken was directed toward underprivileged children. The members sponsored a nursery school, provided the children with milk each, day, and gave them a party at Christmas. Three study groups were formed-Home, Art and Literature, and Forum-and the Home Group has been an integral part of the club for thirty years.
After only a year, World War II evoked new demands, hence the activities became war service centered. The members worked in the U.S.O. and its youth canteens, rolled bandages, provided a loan service of “temporarily unused cribs” to be used by service personnel, and explained the point rationing system to the public. With wives following their husbands in service membership fluctuated, but in May, 1943, the club was increased to 100 members and dues were raised from $1.50 to $2.00 a year. Meetings were informal, with full membership participation.